Individual development plan (IDP) is a document which represents the main events aimed at career individual and professional employee’s development necessary for the current or prospective position in the company.
IDP target audience:
- executives of all levels;
- employees forming the executive/management reserve;
- certain categories of employees (can be developed upon their own or their supervisor’s initiative).
Aims of forming and dealing with IDP:
- employee’s individual career “roadmap” development and realization;
- introducing a systematic and results-oriented employees’ development approach into the company’s management culture;
- executives’ and employees’ training for the current and strategic company’s goals and projects’ realization;
- executives’ and employees’ training for the prospective position according to the career plan.
Time period the IDP:
- IDP is formed for 1 or 2 years depending on the executive’s/employee’s level or the executive/management reserve type
- to identify each employee’s strengths and give recommendations on their use in the company;
- to represent employee’s career plan and events necessary for prospective position training;
- to train the employees by identifying the events aimed at his/her competence development in accordance with the position requirements, company’s aims and goals, as well as the ones of the department and the employee.
IDP is formed based on:
- employee’s assessment results;
- employee’s current goals (for the current period/year);
- career plan (prospective position according to the list of executive/management reserve); immediate superior’s, mentor’s (if any) and employee’s opinions.
IDP consists of several sections:
- general information (Full name, current position, experience, category, mentor, type of executive reserve, immediate superior, drafting date, final assessment accomplishment date);
- assessment results;
- career plan;
- strengths appliance plan;
- development plan:
- developing events according to career plan (prospective position training);
- competence development events.