A Safe Trip Abroad
Travelling to a foreign country is exciting as well as risky. The reasons for excitement and risk are the same – new places, new people, etc. If you are planning to make a foreign trip in the near future and do not want to face unwanted situation and difficulties or become a victim of some scary circumstances, read through the following guidelines for a safe trip abroad.
SAFE TRAVEL TIPS
- Be polite.
- Don’t be too loud.
- Behave as you would at home – it is often just about looking confident.
- Don’t appear scared.
- If you are lost, just approach people as you would at home.
What to bring
- Safety begins when you pack. Try to dress conservatively not to mark you are a tourist. Try not to look too ‘out-of-town’.
- Avoid the appearance of affluence.
- If you carry a camera around, be aware that it is an item that can be easily stolen.
- Travel light to move quickly and to have a free hand.
- Carry the minimum of valuables and cash, use credit cards.
- Avoid hand bags, outside pockets that are target for thieves. Use inside pockets and shoulder bags with a strap across your chest.
- If you’re out shopping don’t carry too much other than shopping, it makes you less of a target.
Local Laws and Customs
- Learn as much as you can about the countries you are going to visit and keep track of what is being reported in the media about their recent developments and changes.
Safety on the Street
- Avoid crowded places abroad. Don’t use short cuts, narrow alleys and poorly-lit streets. Don’t travel alone at night.
- Avoid loud conversations and arguments; keep a low profile.
- Beware of pickpockets.
- Learn a few phrases in the local language to signal your need for help, the police or a doctor.
Safety on Public Transport
- Consult your hotel receptionist about the best, safe and easy way to get to the planned destination.
- Take only clearly marked cabs and define the fare. Never pick up hitchhikers.
- At a street café (especially if you are sitting next to the road) keep your bags with you or tucked out of the way so passing bag thieves won’t be able to snatch them easily. Even if your handbag is on your shoulder keep your hand on it. Be aware that somebody could approach you quickly on foot, running or on a motorbike or scooter.
- Don’t flash large sums of money when paying the bill.
- Exchange money only with authorized agents.
Spare wallet or purse
- If you are concerned about being mugged, keep an old, spare wallet with you. Put some small value loose change in it so it rattles, add some out of date bank cards, expired phone cards and other non-valuable, credit card sized cards. That way, you can keep it in your pocket and hand it over in an emergency and it looks authentic enough to the mugger at first glance.
- If you are mugged, don’t forget to call the police and report the crime.
Hijacking / Hostages Situations
- Remain calm and alert and manage your own behavior. Avoid resistance and sudden threatening movements.
- If questioned, keep your answers short.
- Don’t try to be a hero, endangering yourself and others.
- Keep a list of important telephone numbers and carry it around with you making sure it is separate from your wallet or purse (just in case). These numbers should include where you are staying, your local embassy or consulate, the travel helpline provided by your insurance, the telephone access codes for the country you are in and your own home country in case you want to call someone at home.
- Also make a note of your passport number, card numbers, and any other noteworthy numbers.
|Scary circumstances||Ужасные обстоятельства||Beware of pickpockets||Остерегайтесь карманников|
|Look confident||Выглядеть уверенно||Pickup hitchhikers||Подсаживаться кому-либо|
|Appear scared||Казаться испуганным||Snatch||Вырвать|
|Look ‘out-of town’||Выглядеть как приезжий||Flash money||Демонстрировать наличие денег|
|Appearance of affluence||Внешность состоятельного человека||Be concerned about smth||Быть озабоченным чем-либо|
|Travel light||Путешествовать налегке||Be mugged||Быть ограбленным на улице|
|Valuables||Ценные вещи||Small value change||Мелкие монеты|
|Target for thieves||Мишень для воров||Spare wallet||Запасной кошелек|
|Keep track of smth||Отслеживать||Out-of date/expired||Недействительный|
|Short cut||Кратчайший путь||Look authentic||Выглядеть подлинным|
|Poorly-lit street||Плохо освещенная улица||Remain alert||Оставаться начеку|
|Keep a low profile||Быть сдержанным, незаметным||Avoid resistance||Не сопротивляться|
|Define the fare||Определиться со стоимостью проезда||Threatening movements||Угрожающие движения|
|Endanger yourself||Подвергать себя опасности|