Staying healthy at work: A little change can go a long walk
A few simple changes can keep you healthy, even if you’re in an office all day. These may not seem like much, but try just a few and you’ll see that they really make the difference:
- Take the stairs as often as you can.
- Set a timer to remind you to get up and move, stretch, walk, or even just stand for 5 minutes every 30 minutes to an hour. You may like StandApp for it.
- Get outside for a walk at lunch or at one of your breaks.
- Eat your lunch outdoors on nice days for a dose of sunshine/Vitamin D. Avoid eating at your desk whenever possible.
- Make a rule not to eat when you are stressed. Practise deep breathing instead.
- On the weekend, prepare healthy lunches and snacks for yourself for every day of the work week. Put them in individual glass or plastic containers, grab and go.
- For client or corporate lunches out, check the menu ahead of time online and have a plan for ordering the best option so you’re not making quick and compulsive decisions on the spot.
- Start a group in your office for people who want to establish healthy habits. The more support you have around you, the easier it will be. And you could make a big difference in someone else’s life!
- Smile at your co-workers, even the difficult ones. You’ll feel awesome and your positivity will be contagious.
- Keep a water bottle at your desk and full of water
- Try to get up early and exercise before work. The endorphins will give you energy and help you combat stress all day long, and will make you a more productive worker.
- Get 8 hours of sleep every night. We rid ourselves of the stress hormones during sleep, so the more you can get, the better you will feel.
- Wear a pedometer and make it a goal to get at least 10,000 steps per day. If you don’t have a pedometer, many smartphones have free pedometer apps.
- Do as much work as you can while standing or walking. Ask yourself, can I do this while standing? Can I meet with this person and walk at the same time?
- Watch your posture, and try to sit up straight. Adjust your desk, screen, and keyboard so that you are not slumped over to be able to see well.
- Avoiding procrastination is a great way to combat stress. Meet your deadlines early, start projects as soon as you get your hands on them.
- Park your car in the back of the lot to add some extra steps.
- Schedule your workouts and breaks in your planner or calendar, just like you do your meetings. your meetings.
|Take the stairs||Ходить по лестнице|
|Practise deep breathing||Практиковать глубокое дыхание|
|Snacks||Еда для перекусов|
|Make a rule||Взять за правило|
|Make compulsive decisions on the spot||Принимать решения на ходу|
|Establish healthy habits||Завести здоровые привычки|
|Feel awesome||Чувствовать себя превосходно|
|Rid of stress||Избавляться от стресса|
|Watch your posture||Следить за осанкой|
|Slum over||Наклоняться вперед|
|Avoid procrastination||Избегать волокиты, не откладывать|
|Meet deadlines||Выполнять в срок|
|Get your hand on smth||Добраться до чего-либо (как руки доходят)|